Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

A win at Balmain 10k

Believe it or not, this was my first ever 10k race - and it wasn't a nice and flat one either!


I was really pleased to come away with the win today, especially seeing as though the body is feeling a bit fatigued because I've raced for the past five weekends. Combined with it being the end of the year, which is always the busiest time for me at work, I'm feeling a bit drained and well and truly ready for a break over Christmas.


I've always avoided 10k races - and the longer I avoided them, the more nervous I became about ever doing one. However, the time has come for me to bite the bullet and do the speed work. I know I'm not going to get much faster over a marathon if I continue to neglect this shorter stuff, so the year ahead will bring some shorter races. Fast twitch muscles I will find you in there somewhere!


I was very surprised at how hilly (i.e. tough!) the course was. I have trained around the Bay Run a bit, because work is nearby, so I thought most of the run would be pretty flat. Err, no.


Ended up finishing first woman home in 38:47, which I found out later was a course record by about three-and-a-half minutes. Was I happy with the way it went? Well, the time was slower than the 10k I did off the bike at Nepean (37:46), so that was disappointing, but I was happy to win and even happier to finally get the 10k monkey off my back. It was a very low key and friendly event, and I'll definitely be back again next year.


One thing I really loved was watching the kids run/walk the 2k event - especially the really young ones. They were so determined and looked so happy when they crossed the finish line.


While I was waiting for the presentation I did another 9k around the bay and some side streets - it's such a nice place to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment